In case you couldn’t tell from the majority of my recipe posts, I love eating eggs. I thought I would experiment with my typical eggs baked in spinach recipe, and transfer the concept to a roll. This is a really simple brunch dish that is great to make for group of people. First, it looks fancy (even though it’s simple to make). Second, it can be eaten as finger food, which is ideal when you’re serving a bunch of people. And third, you have your veg, protein, and carb in one dish, how ideal!
- 1 sweet bread roll
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup baby spinach
- freshly ground nutmeg and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon cheese + more for sprinkling
*These are the ingredients for 1 egg baked in a sweet bread roll. So just multiply according to the number of eggs and rolls you want to make!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Heat butter in a pan on medium low heat and saute spinach until wilted. Season with nutmeg and pepper
- Cut a hole into the top of the roll and pull out the inner bread. Squeeze and pat the insides against the outer part of the bread so that you make enough room inside to include spinach and egg.
- Place wilted spinach inside roll on the bottom and against the sides, leaving the center space for the egg. Add cheese on top of spinach inside of roll. You can use any type of cheese you like. I used parmesan and feta for mine.
- Crack egg into roll. Bake for 20-24 minutes, or until egg whites have set and egg yolk is creamy. A couple of minutes before the eggs have finished baking, sprinkle additional cheese on top so it can melt in the oven.